Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Fun For The Whole Family

Before spending pretty well every weekend out of town, on nice mornings Chris and I would load the inflatable kayaks into the car and find a spot from which to set off.  We frequently did so from nearby Manotick, following the river along the huge-ass backyards of a great many far-too-expensive and attractive homes, coming to the clear conclusion that the people who lived in those homes were bastards.

I was jealous one time (well...several times, but one time in particular) when one yard had a small family of geese chilling by the water.  That just seemed like such a cool thing to wake up to.

We did spot such a gathering on Crow Lake while going around one of the islands in the canoe.  But shortly after arriving in the evening a couple of Fridays ago, I made my way down by the water and nearly stepped in goose...evidence.  It was all over the place.

Now I don't actually know how much...evidence...a goose can unleash, so it was difficult to judge numbers but I reported to Christine that we'd definitely had a visit and left it at that.

They must have liked the place, because they returned the next morning.


I spotted a couple of them from the driveway when we returned from getting groceries in Westport.  They knew I was around, too, but were skittishly accepting of my creeping around the top deck.  So I started to snap away.








16 geese in total, of varying ages.  So take THAT, Manotick!

After their little break was over, one of the kiddlies got restless, blurted out a couple of honks, waddled to the water and plopped in.  The rest followed suit and off they went. Hopefully they drop by again sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment