Friday, 1 April 2016

More Floor Futures

I still don't want to show anyone what's going on in the dining room and the hallway but I can say that it's well underway.

My dad and I planned on heading out there last Saturday to work on a number of things. There was no way we would be bored, there are plenty of projects, big and small, to attack. Asley made a surprise guest-appearance and provided another extremely helpful pair of hands.

Once we got going, there was no stopping our little runaway freight train. We worked for five or six hours straight. Well...I did take the occasional break to text Christine about how friggin' awesome the whole thing looked.

We made sure the floor was level. Or as level as we were ever going to get it, anyway. We're not exactly working with a quality canvas here. If the walls are crooked, the floors are too, right?

But despite that little road block we got about 80% of the dining room done. Dad and I are heading back out there tomorrow to wrap it up. In theory. I shall report back.

At some point, feeling I wasn't contributing much (it doesn't take three people to tap in uncut boards of vinyl flooring) I wandered off to finish the stairs.


Man, look at that...Why in the hell would you ever tile that over? It's unlikely that we will. We'll give them a good sanding and proper framing but this is a case of less is more.

Here's another look at the post "demolition" result.


Maybe a stain or something...We'll figure it out.

Of course, now we're falling into the trap of "The floor will look great in the hallway!" leading to "The stairs will look like crap."  Then when the stairs look great, the floor around the fireplace in the living room will look like a turd in a punch bowl. And so on and so forth.

So while I don't like to overstate things, I must admit that we're at the point where the mere sight of that living room floor tile feels like a violation of our souls.

Thankfully we believe we've landed on its replacement.  If you can find the time, rotate your eyes about five degrees to your right.

See that colour scheme? That's going to be the floor down there, we think. It should blend nicely with the other half of the room.

Not sure yet of the timing on this one. I mean, I would LOVE for it to be done for when Christine's mum next visits but I'm not sure about scheduling, resources (including manpower), etc.

We do have a few days off at the end of April....

No comments:

Post a Comment