Thursday, 15 May 2014

Never been so excited about floors.

Whooo!!  Chris and I have spent an awful lot of time in Crow Lake lately and made a fair bit of headway into some of our projects for this year.

Christine had some vacation days to burn (must be nice...) so a couple of weeks back, she headed out to the cottage to finish the paint job on the living room floor.  When we next went (I believe on Friday, May 2nd) we were tasked with putting the living room back together that evening.  And I love how it turned out.  If you don't, keep it to yourself. ;-)


Much like our master bedroom floor reno last year, it's actually difficult to display this through photography.  The carpet was old, worn and outdated.  You know, like Joan Rivers, but in carpet form.

So out it goes, slap a coat of paint directly on the wood, throw down a rug we bought months ago and blam, you've got a nice little blast of colour going.  Remove a useless table for a little space, move the map to where people can view it more easily and if nothing else, the room makes a bit more sense. We're not done, but we're much, much closer.

Got a new picture at top right, too.


You may remember something very similar in the dining room.  Christine picked up this print in Mattawa last summer while driving through on her way to (or perhaps from, I don't recall) visiting her dad on Little Tomiko Lake.  It was so "fresh" that she literally had to wait for it to dry.  Here's the artist's website.

So that done, my folks came over this past weekend so that my dad and I could get to work on the guest room floor next (at about a 90/10 ratio, I'm afraid).




Bah, that last shot came out too dark...But anyway, we're going to add a lamp to that piece of furniture at left.  Previously, the lamp rested on a small white shelf unit at the foot of the bed.  Not the most convenient spot.

We popped open a bottle of German bubbly that night (the Germans always make good stuff) as an official 2014 launch mini-celebration.  My folks left late Sunday afternoon but Christine and I stuck around until Tuesday morning, enjoying spectacular weather for the first time in quite a while.

While we were there, Chris' tulips pretty well doubled in size and bloomed.  She also added bird feeders at both ends of the cottage which, of course, were raided in no time.



And now, we've reached the skill-testing question portion of our show.  Can multiple-time visitors identify the following piece of furniture that Christine appropriated into a firewood stand?  It's a hard one.  Hell *I* got it wrong.


My dad's popping over again Saturday so that we can work on the picnic table.  That'll be a nice one-and-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment