Following Thursday's double turtle save, my folks dropped by on the Friday to take us out to dinner. They let us choose the restaurant. We thought of going to The Maples (shown on the "Places of Interest" page) in Sharbot Lake, remembering a very good meal on their beach-side deck last summer, but instead gave the Fall River Restaurant yet another shot.
This was "yet another shot" because it was at least the third time that Christine and I tried to go. They were closed during both previous attempts. I believe my folks were with us one of those times and that it led to having that meal at The Maples I mentioned earlier.
For preservation's sake, if the menu ever changes, Christine and I had the bruschetta and (to the surprise of no one)...
Roasted Vegetable Tower
Layers of roasted vegetables anointed with balsamic vinegar and basil and baked with a combination of cheeses. Surrounded by a moat of garlic and parsley creamWe could have taken pictures of our dinners meals, but didn't want to be those people...
The cozy atmosphere was made all the easier to appreciate by the monsoon going out outside throughout the meal and well after. I swear, on the way back I saw some bearded dude gathering animals in pairs. It was nasty out there. But Saturday was beautiful and my folk stayed around longer than they'd originally planned, so it was all good. :-)
Monday, we got back to business a little bit. We'd been looking forward to finally getting the electric panel cleaned up and Monday was the big day. It was a lengthy procedure, but it went smoothly.
We were also hoping to get some light fixtures installed and Bam! All three went up. Pictures won't display these very well (I'm not even trying the master bedroom one) but they're all I got.
First, in the hallway, we had some cheap would-be artsy piece of crap that looked like it belonged more on the Starship Enterprise than in a cottage. We replaced it with a piece from Elk Lighting called Woodland Sunrise. Now does THAT not sound more appropriate for a cottage, I ask you?
Straight walls are ceilings are SUCH an outdated concept...
The switch for the bedroom fan/light was in the hallway. Not terribly handy. Plus when you sat facing the one in the living room, its lights blasted you in the face. It's supposed to be a living room, not an interrogation chamber. The new ones are just more...pleasant.
Installation of the baseboard heaters turned out to be more problematic right at that time, but not necessarily off the table. We may be able to revisit that idea in the fall. In the meantime...Bring an extra blanket, I guess.

No comments:
Post a Comment