Monday, 22 June 2015

Why Did The Turtle Cross The Road?

Not entirely sure but I wish it would move its ass.

It may not be visible to those who view posts in an e-mail as opposed to visiting the actual blog page, but I added a quick "statistics" counter to the right border.

It was really done as a gag. I forget the exact timing of things, but a couple of weeks back I received the now all-too-familiar "Babe...Can you check if this is a tick?" call.

Sure enough...Quick, Robin! To the tweezer drawer!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank...*pop*

All gone. We'd taken George out and investigated a number of new nearby trails. We suspect Christine picked up a clingy hitchhiker on one of the more poorly maintained ones. So we won't visit THAT one again unless it looks like it's been cared for. But a couple of the other ones are quite nice.



What we WILL continue to do is save turtles. Or more accurately, Christine will save them and I shall record the event.

You may recall that some time ago, Christine decided it would be a good idea to haul a shovel around in case turtles needed to be "escorted" across the road. I scoffed, at the time. Yes, I did scoff! But in no time, she was rescuing a turtle. Boy, was my face red!

On our way back from Sharbot Lake recently, we saw a big 'un that didn't seem to be in any hurry. So we hopped out of the car Dukes of Hazzard style. Off she went with the shovel while I tried to slow down incoming traffic.


At that point, ticks were up 3-2 all-time. But as we know from childhood stories, turtles tend to get their lead late in the game. The following weekend, on our way up, two more needed a little friendly guidance ...

I believe this is how bullfighters begin their training. Olé!!


Vamoose!!

So turtles now lead 4-3 following a furious, sudden comeback. Go, turtles!

No, really...Go! This isn't really safe for any of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment